WHAT IS A TRADEMARK?
A trademark is a word, phrase, slogan, symbol or design, or combination of such which identifies the source of the goods or services of one party from those of all other parties.
Normally, a mark for goods appears on the products or on its packaging material while a service marks often appears in advertising. Over time, a trademark tends to establish customer goodwill for one’s products or services.
Trademark rights are usually acquired by use in commerce. Generally, the prior user of a mark owns the mark in the geographic region in which the mark is in use.
WHAT ARE THE 7 BENEFITS I RECEIVE IN REGISTERING MY TRADEMARK?
- Your mark will be listed in the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s online data base.
- Public notice of your claim of ownership of the mark is given.
- You have the right to use the federal registration symbol of a circled “r”.
- You have a legal presumption of owning your marks and the exclusive right to use it nationwide in connection with the sales of goods or services listed in the registration.
- You have the ability to record your registration of the mark with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service to prevent the importation of any infringing goods.
- A registered mark can substantially increase the vale of the trademark and business which owns it.
- You gain the ability to bring an action concerning the mark in federal court
Don’t delay, valuable rights could be lost through waiting too long. Let Klein Law Corporation help you today. Call (949) 453-7979.
The foregoing information is presented by KLEIN LAW CORPORATION as a news reporting service to clients and friends of the firm and is distributed with the understanding that KLEIN LAW CORPORATION is not rendering legal advice and assumes no liability whatsoever in connection with its use. If you have questions about the subject matter presented or desire to obtain more information on legal issues related to your business, please contact us at (949) 453-7979 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .